The nose opens with subtle notes of black fruits (blackcurrant, blackberry), as well as floral (violet) and spicy (liquorice, pepper) notes.
The attack is both powerful and round; the mid-palate is marked by a beautiful fruitiness and well-rounded tannins. The finish is delicious and aromatic.
- Surface of production for red: 48 ha (total surface: 57 ha)
- Nature of the soil: Gűnz gravel from the Quaternary period, on the plateau above the village of Martillac
- Pruning: Double Guyot system for Cabernet Sauvignon, Cordon system for Merlot and Petit Verdot
- Density of planting: 7,200 feet/ha
- Vineyard management: Traditional methods with mechanical ploughing. Sustainable Vine Protection.
- Green harvesting by hand: desuckering, excess bud removal, leaf thinning, removal of secondary shoots.
2018 was a year marked by a spell of frost in April and followed in quick succession by an episode of hail on the 26th of May. The year was also marked by heavy downpours in Spring before to get better conditions from the flowering. Despite the attack of mildew at the beginning of the summer in certain parcels of red vines, the sunny period from July through to the beginning of October truly saved the vintage and guaranteed a good ripening of the grapes. The reds required a lot of attention at both stages of picking and sorting, those parcels affected by mildew. The meticulousness of our vineyard pickers, plus the effectiveness of our talented cellar team and our technical ability helped maintain healthy and ripe grapes.
- Budbreak: from the 2nd to the 9th of April
- Flowering: from the 28th of May to the 3rd of June (full flower: the 31st of May)
- Berry set: from the 25th to the 31st of June
- Veraison: from the 27th of July to the 18th of August
Plot by plot handpicking
- Merlot: from the 17th to the 28th of September
- Cabernet Sauvignon: from the 2nd to the 10th of October
At the Château, in May 2020 – 52,000 bottles
Alcoholic fermentation in thermo-regulated vats
12 months in French oak barrel
New barrels: 40%
Deep red with purple highlights.