In the end, we obtained wines with a superb touch, volume, sweetness, freshness, both fine and aromatic.
Exceptional weather conditions gave the vintage its character:
A dry winter with strong temperature variations leads to the beginning of flowering on June 5, the vine grows slowly. Summer is dry and very hot: Three months of summer without water. Our clay-limestone basements were beneficial in avoiding water stress for our vines which could have been induced by these conditions. This summer allowed us to pick very aromatic and concentrated small grapes.
- Sustainable viticulture: Terra Vitis
- Soil type: The vines are planted on several different soil types : the Sauvignon and the Muscadelle on Pyrenees gravel, and the Semillon on clayey-limestone soil. Produced from the best plots of Château Fonréaud in Listrac-Médoc, this rare wine comes under the label “appellation Bordeaux blanc sec” simply because there is no “appellation Médoc blanc”.
- Area: 3 hectares
The vines are cultivated according to environmentally friendly growing practices,
respecting both the plant and its environment.
The veraison was fast and uniform. The result was a superb quality of harvest.
Like every year, we have harvested by “tries”, to pick only fruits at optimum maturity. The ageing on lees, in barrels, will give this wine a nice sweetness and a quite exceptional aptitude for aging.
Winemaking process: Le Cygne is produced with the greatest care:
- Handpicking with repeated passages through the rows, selecting only perfectly ripe
grapes at each passage.
- Pressing of the whole bunches
- Fermenting and ageing in barrels of which 30 to 40% are new, depending on the vintage.
The wine is matured on the fine lees with regular bâtonnage stirring to reveal all the
complexity of the beautifully ripe grapes. Bottled just before the summer, the wine conserves over the years the freshness of the Muscadelle aromas, which soften the exuberance of the Sauvignon.
- 45% new oak barrels
Ideal for a refreshing before-dinner drink, or with appetisers, seafood or fish.
Recommended serving temperature 9 to 12°C.